Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Draw Upon Drawing when Developing Projects

See this crude drawing? I just grabbed an index card and a marker and drew this. It's a mockup for a scenario that could be the basis for a novel chapter. Took me 30 seconds. Now, why would I inflict my lack of art on you all? I mean, look at that man's head! Is that even a head? And the flying saucer -- looks more like a sinking speed boat. Please.

Crude though my drawing may be, you do get a very clear sense of what the dramatic tension is all about in my fictional fictional book.


Right now my students are working on various projects and the tendency is to plan blind. We use words and words are great. But pictures clarify, even when they aren't that good. So I'm urging that they use pictures, perhaps as prompts (to themselves or to others) that can then prompt forward progress.

This man is brilliant, even if
comics are not your thing.
The power of pictures is a topic I've learned about from Scott McCloud in his various works on comics. It's also an idea that Dan Roam has pursued in his business-oriented book, The Back of the Napkin.

Literacy is getting reworked today, and it's clear that the visual is going to be doing a lot more of the work than ever before. I know that an illustration of some kind can really help to give people a sound idea that an idea is sound. Such pictures can take many forms -- wireframed versions of websites or brochures, flow charts to demonstrate how a project is to be organized, storyboards for narrative structures -- whatever.

Using pictures (especially ones you draw yourself) make it easier to share ideas with others and get quick feedback (a necessary part of gaining social proof on one's projects). So, draw upon whatever talent you have, or don't have, and "see" what drawing turns up for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment